As the temp increases, so does your air conditioning expenses. To keep your AC bills under control you may be thinking, is it cheaper to leave your AC on all day in the summer in South Beloit and Belvidere?
It’s a common belief that turning your air conditioner on and off throughout the day is a waste of energy. This is actually false.
Keeping your air conditioner on all the time means you’re not using it very efficiently. We advise moving your thermostat to a higher setting when you’re away, and turning it back down when you get back. You can achieve this with a programmable thermostat. Or, a smart thermostat will do everything for you.
It’s significantly more laborious for your system to stay at the same temp all day long. It can also lead to a lot of wear and tear to your system, since it’s repeatedly turning on and off.
So, on top of it increasing your utility bills, it may also result in a shorter life cycle for your air conditioner.
Regardless, the bigger the difference between your home’s temperature and the outside temperature, the greater your air conditioning bills will be. So, what can you do to remain cool and keep your energy bills low in the warm weather? Here are our suggestions based on recommendations from the U.S Department of Energy (DOE) and ENERGY STAR®.
6 Methods to Increase Your Air Conditioner’s Energy Efficiency
- Adjust Your Thermostat. The DOE states that you can save up to 10% annually on heating and cooling by increasing your thermostat 7-10 degrees while you’re away. During the summer, it’s advised to set your thermostat at 78 degrees when you’re home and 88 degrees when you’re out. It’s equally as important to abstain from setting your thermostat to a lower setting than normal when you turn on your AC. This doesn’t actually cool down your home any sooner, it just leads to higher electric bills. While these temperatures could feel toasty, there are a number of approaches to keep cooler without having to always run the AC.
- Use Fans, Curtains and Blinds. ENERGY STAR says dialing up the thermostat by just 2 degrees and turning on your ceiling fan can lessen AC by up to 14% over the course of the cooling season. It’s important to be mindful that that fans cool people, not spaces. So, when you leave the room, turn the fan off to conserve energy. Also, keeping blinds low and curtains closed for the duration of the day helps keep chilled air indoors. There are also some window solutions meant to deliver extra insulation and boost energy efficiency.
- Properly Seal All Doors, Windows and Openings. Leaky cracks all across a home enable conditioned air to easily slip out and the heat to get in. This can cause your AC unit being required to work harder to keep your residence cool and your AC costs to increase. Make sure that any gaps, doors and windows are adequately sealed. Caulking or weather-stripping are easy fixes for leaks or drafts around windows and doors.
- Plan for Regular Tune-Ups. Scheduling air conditioner maintenance assures that your AC is always running at its most efficient. This allows our professionals to locate simple issues before they turn into serious troubles. A clean AC unit is generally more efficient and could even last for a longer period of time.
- Install a Smart Thermostat. One of the easiest approaches to guarantee comfort and efficiency is with a smart thermostat. This thermostat automatically alters the temperature based on your daily schedule. It works with your smartphone to notice when you’re in your home or elsewhere to optimize your efficiency. In fact, ENERGY STAR states that a smart thermostat could potentially save you about $180 annually on energy expenses.
- Consider Replacing Your Air Conditioner. You can figure a properly taken care of AC to run for 15-20 years. But if you’re regularly contacting us for air conditioning repair or your energy bills are climbing with no fluctuations in thermostat settings, it might be time for a new system. We supply numerous energy-efficient air conditioners, like ENERGY STAR models that can help you save more on cooling without compromising comfort.
Increase Your Residence’s Energy Efficiency with Fleming Heating & Air Conditioning Inc
No one wants to see their energy bill increase during the warm months. If you’re seeking more ways to keep your energy use and costs lower this summer, our experts can help. Give us a call at 877-389-2465 or contact us online now for extra details.