Whether you like winter or prefer the warmer months in South Beloit and Belvidere, many of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to help lower those costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your house warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it needs to be replaced. We recommend at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can fix temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to purchase a replacement heating system. The professionals at Fleming Heating & Air Conditioning Inc can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Fleming Heating & Air Conditioning Inc in South Beloit and Belvidere a call to get started. Contact our team at 877-389-2465 or book an appointment with us online.